Costumes · Geeky sewing. · Handmade · Sewing

Harry Potter Robe – Simplicity 8723 Review.

DSC_0110

I recently made a Harry Potter robe using Simplicity 8723. I wore this to a couple of halloween events but I’m sure I’ll be wearing this anytime of the year. This pattern is great includes robes, sweater and tie in child and teen sizes XS-L and adult sizes XS-XL. The pattern runs large, I made a small and it was a little to big. I’m 5’4″ and 120 pounds just to give you an idea. I didn’t size down because my children, now taller than me, might want to wear it sometimes.

I used black gabardine and stretch sateen in biking red for the facings and lining both from Joann’s. I bought the iron on appliqué patch at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter store in Orlando a few years ago. I wanted to buy the robe but for a $120 I was like I can made that for half as much. I expend around $50 without thread that I already had and the closure that I removed from a cape I made a while ago.

DSC_0101

The only modification I made was adding lining to the sleeves. I wanted to line the whole thing but decided not to since I’m planing to wear it next time I visit Universal Studios. Overall this is a very easy pattern and great for beginners. I definitely recommend it just don’t forget to size down.

DSC_0100
DSC_0109
Geeky sewing. · Handmade · Sewing

McCall’s 6885 Review.

I have been organizing my sewing space. I sew in the living room, fabric and sewing supplies are quietly invading the rest of the house. So I decided to get rid of my unfinished projects to make space. There were many that only needed minimal work, so I decided to keep a few. Like this one, McCalls 6885.

DSC_0044

This is the cutest and easiest shirtdress I ever made! I started it nine months ago (shameless) Back then fall was approaching so I cut view D. Obviously I had to reconsider my choice now that summer is almost here, so I omitted the sleeves. I used this awesome Star Wars printed rayon challis. I bought this one during my L.A fabric shopping trip last year. I paid $3.99 a yard for it! Shocking I know.DSC_0052

This is how I sewed the curved hem. I ran a line of wide machine basting stitches 1/4″ from the raw edge of the hem. Then I folded and pressed the hem using the basting stitch line as a guide. I gently pulled the threads from the stitching line to ease the extra fabric in place as I was pressing. I pressed and folded the hemline a second time before sewing it in place.

20180531_153123-120180531_152943-1

McCalls 6885.

Pattern Description: Semi-fitted, pullover shirtdresses have pointed collar, collar/front bands, button-up placket, front pleat and narrow hem.

Pattern Sizing: 8-16 and 16 – 24. I cut size 8.

Difficulty: Easy. If you have trouble sewing the placket there’s a tutorial on the McCalls blog here. For the collar you just need to transfer all of your markings and notches.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked everything.

Fabric Used: I used rayon challis from Angel’s Textiles in Los Angeles. Sorry they don’t have a website.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes! Overall this is a cute and easy pattern to dress up or down.

DSC_0078

Costumes · Geeky sewing. · Sewing

C2E2 2017.

I wanted to attend  C2E2 since forever, but my antisocial ways wouldn’t let me. This year my niece took pity on me and invited me. I attended on my birthday, since I’m not getting any younger I decided to face my fears. I mean Disney had prepared me for this right? How bad could it be? There was a huge crowd but I managed to control my anxiety and I survived!!

IMG_20170415_163051_478.jpg

I decided to wear a costume like two weeks before, I procrastinate like I get paid, no kidding. Took me another week to start sewing, I had big plans you know but I had to settle for vintage Cat Woman. I used this glittery knit fabric that was super thin, I had  lined the whole thing. I also used my first PDF pattern by Mimi G, don’t tell her she might think I disrespected her pattern..😂 Available  Here. 

This pattern was super easy, took me longer to tape the pages together. I installed the zipper on the back instead of the front, something I regretted on my first trip to the restroom, and I also changed  the neckline. Next time I’ll take better pictures since all I see is my donut belly. Something that could have been easily fixed by using compression mesh as lining. Next time I’ll sew this pattern the way it was intended to.

IMG_20170422_191650_849.jpg
I can’t see my waist but I can see Captain America!

20170422_180739-2
Can’t leave without a picture of Solo in Carbonite!

The Artist Alley was my favorite part of the convention. There were so many awesome Cosplayers and a huge selection of Comic Books. I just might return next year.